December 06, 2012

Sneak peek at new version of 23andMe ancestry analysis via Jeff Probst

You can watch a 9min clip here.

Paternal haplogroup ("traces to France and Germany"):


Anyone care to speculate what that is? The foci in eastern India and absence in parts of NW Europe and the Balkans throw me off.

And what of his maternal haplogroup ("Northern Africa" "pastoralists" "Berbers"):


I would have guessed U6 or M1, but the focus east of the Caspian throws me off again. 23andMe may have potentially very large sample sizes, so perhaps their frequency maps may be even better than ones published in the literature, so I'm genuinely curious what this might be.

Various other info: his dad "top 1% Neandertal", no evidence of "Asian" or "Jewish".

Anyway, onto the main course, i.e., the new Ancestry composition:


One thing that I like about this is the assignment of a portion of ancestry to a "Nonspecific Northern European" group, which is a feature I haven't seen before. I am told that this feature will launch very soon, so it will be interesting to see how well it works across many individuals.

12 comments:

AWood said...

Quite sure he's R1b, but the heat map is wrong, it seems to represent R1b and R1a combined. I think the current one is like that as well...still wrong.

Mark D said...

This looks so much better than past efforts by both 23 and Me and FTDNA. Clarly, larger sample sizes will increase efficacy. Moreover, the new descriptors appear to not include those from the dated HGDP, such as "Orcadian" that are confusing to the average consumer of these products. I hope Geno 2.0 and FTDNA follow suit.

pconroy said...

I'd say paternal (Y-DNA) must be some version of R1a1a, as that's found from East India/Bengal to Ireland

I'd agree that maternal (mtDNA) could be U6a1 - however that's found at 4-5% in Brittany, France - but that's not what the map shows, so maybe it's M1. My mother has an M1 relative from Denmark.

AdygheChabadi said...

The 'Paternal Haplogroup' one seems like Macro-haplogroup R.

It also looks like it overlaps with Macro-group IJ also.

Best guess though, is something to do with R.

clusteredmaps said...

The paternal is probably R1b1b2 or whatever its called now with a faulty map.

Andrea said...

Probst's paternal haplogroup appears to be some derivation of R1b1b2. I guess that shows the depth of my DNA addiction, I recognized it immediately. Several of the males in my family have that haplogroup.

http://imgur.com/a/D8QLJ

shenandoah said...

This is fun!

I will guess G2 or I2 for his paternal lineage...

T1 or H1 for his maternal lineage.

(Hope you will give us the answers, when you find out; I can't stand the suspense.)

AWood said...

Not sure how you guys are getting R1a1, G2, and I2 lol. If you watch the 9 minutes of Jeff talking about himself, you will realize it is a 'very common lineage' in western Europe. I suspect the eastern concentrations are from that study way back on the Newars in Nepal. Otherwise it's fairly accurate except for some maximums which are lackign in southern Greece, Norway, Iceland, Scotland, and western Ireland...

R1b Le destructeur de chattes said...

his paternal is r1b(r1a not comprised) ,it's easy i got the same map ,but his maternal well ...

clusteredmaps said...

http://scholarworks.gvsu.edu/sss/74/
I dont know if I posted this a few seconds ago before if I did please ignore,
THe above link is a more interesting article

Clay said...

The graphic is for R1b1b2. It is identical to the graphic on my paternal line page at 23 and me. From my page there are links to graphics for R1b1b, R1b1, etc. down to R. They are broader distributions. I can't explain the presence in India, etc. It is described as a representation of the distribution about 500 years ago.

shenandoah said...

http://www.jeffprobst.com/posts/2431_jeff_s_dna_test_results_are_in/index.html

In case anyone missed it, footage from his show featuring the DNA experts with him, discussing this same subject.